So for this month’s recipe I thought that I would keep it basic yet again. Without a good basis of knowledge of food how can you do the more complicated items? This recipe is yet another multi use versatile recipe.
This recipe works great with homemade baked Macaroni & Cheese. It also works great as a cheese sauce over vegetables for the finicky child. Of course this can be used in other forms of casseroles, especially rice and pasta based dishes. And never be afraid to use it with chicken which is a very versatile meat.
Simple Cheese Sauce
1 Cup Milk
Salt to Taste
Pepper to Taste
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Cup Shredded Cheese (See Notes)
- In a saucepan place your milk, salt, and pepper on a low to medium heat.
- Heat the milk while stirring often to prevent burning or scalding.
- In a separate pan melt the butter and add in the flour until a thick roux forms.
- Add a little of the milk to the roux and stir until full incorporated.
- Repeat step 4 until the roux has become a thick warm slurry.
- Add the roux slurry back to the pan with the remaining milk.
- Place the cheese into the pan with the warm milk a roux.
- Stir continuously until all the cheese is melted and sauce is thickened.
- Use sauce as desired.
- Most cheese can be used for this recipe. I often use Vermont Cheddar. Gouda, Swiss, Manchego, Edam, Monetary Jack, Colby, and a dry Mozzarella are all good options as well.
I hope you all give this sauce a try and enjoy. It will make a great addition to your at home recipe index. If you enjoyed this recipe please give it a like to let me know. Also if you have any thoughts, comments, or suggestions for future entries please feel free to leave it in the comments below.
Check back next Friday at 1500 or 3 PM for the commentary of significance and one that is close to my heart.