This was a great competition to raise money for a local organization who works with Children. It was my second year participating in the event. This time around I also had firefighters to compete against. I had a lot of folks who loved this item and I got a lot of votes. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough to place in the top 3, but, I was close. Here’s to winning next year.
As with a majority of my recipes most or in this case all the ingredients can be purchased at Blue Mountain Produce in Wilmington, VT. Paper copies of this recipe can be found on the bulletin board to assist with ease of shopping.
Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Arancini
1 Cup White Rice
2 Beaten Eggs
1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 ½ Ounces Minced Sun-Dried Tomatoes
4 Ounces Fresh Basil Leaves
1 ½ Tablespoon Minced Garlic
2 Beaten Eggs
¾ Cup Baking/Pancake Mix
Oil for Frying
- Cook rice according to directions leaving slightly moist.
- While rice is cooking combine the 2 eggs and parmesan cheese in a small bowel.
- Once rice is done gradually add the egg mixture to the rice being careful not to scramble the egg.
- Mix the sun-dried tomato, garlic and basil into the rice until thoroughly combined.
- Place the rice in the refrigerator for a least an hour to cool.
- With wet hands form the rice into 1 – 2 ounce balls similar to meatballs.
- In two separate bowls place the eggs for the coating and the
- Place the shaped rice balls in the beaten egg and then roll in the baking mix.
- Place the rice balls in a pan with enough oil to coat and fry until golden bown.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate before serving.
On a plate with fresh tomato sauce, shredded parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil or parsley.
Make small size balls and serve as an appetizer with tomato sauce for dipping.