I thought that I would start off my new recipe entries with a delicious and vibrant tomato sauce. This sauce can be used on almost any pasta dish or over fresh sautéed vegetable dish. One of my favorite things to use this sauce on is a nice plain pasta or a fresh gnocchi.
Light Fresh Tomato Sauce
½ Onion Finely Minced
3 Cloves Fresh Garlic Finely Minced
4 – 6 Vine Ripe/Plum Tomatoes Diced
Salt to Taste
Pepper to Taste
Dried Oregano to Taste (Optional) (See Notes)
Dried Basil to Taste (Optional) (See Notes)
Sugar (Optional) (See Notes)
- Heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a sauté pan.
- Sauté the onions until translucent, add the garlic and continue to cook for an additional min or two.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pan and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Stir in salt, pepper, oregano and basil to taste and allow to simmer for a couple minutes.
- Fresh herbs can be substituted for the dried. They also add an extra vibrancy to the color of the finished sauce.
- Adding sugar to the sauce helps make it sweeter and reduces the acid content.
I hope you all give this sauce a try and enjoy. It will make a great addition to your at home recipe index. If you enjoyed this recipe please give it a like to let me know. Also if you have any thoughts, comments, or suggestions for future entries please feel free to leave it in the comments.
Check back next Friday at 1500 or 3 PM for an all new original short story.